Private Internet Access is one of the most popular VPNs. Their service is professional, cheap and well-crafted. In this review, we will check whether the VPN is good to go or not. We will analyze both the good and the bad and finally give you a verdict whether we would recommend it or you are better off without.
It is brought to you by London Trust Media, Inc – A company founded in 2010 is located in Denver, United States. Here comes the first con.
It is located in 14 eyes jurisdiction, making it vulnerable to governments pressure.
However, this is only one drawback. There are tons of positive aspects as well.
Scroll down to learn more.
No Traffic Logs & No Leaks
PIA belongs to the “No logging” VPN club. Some of the VPNs actually do log data even though they claim not to, PIA doesn’t do any.
They passed all of our security tests and has no DNS leaks or logs, which give us a reason to believe PIA is worth considering.
Their AES-256 Encryption supported protocols below:
Location & 14 Eyes Jurisdiction
PIA is located in the United States of America. This is the first con of their service – the location.
They are part of 5 Eyes jurisdiction
What is Five Eyes?
FVEY is an intelligence alliance between United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom.
Simply said: every member can ask information from alliance country observations.
(Reviewed by a professional lawyer)
- The policy was last updated on May 2018, likely to reflect recent changes in data security law in the EU and member states.
- Some style and spelling errors but it are nothing that would require immediate corrects.
Full version including comments: download
- Another note: specifically, these terms designate Hamilton County, Indiana as the venue for litigation. Chances are unless the plaintiff was located in the same county any litigation would be immediately removed to federal court and federal law would apply.
- The Hamilton County line would likely only apply to small claims made by individual consumers – but still not likely to be useful at all, as a plaintiff would rather sue in federal court.
- Spelling and grammar were not an issue with the Terms of Service Agreement. It is well written and usefully provides noted examining the purpose of each paragraph of the agreement.
Full version: download
Devices & Platforms
You can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.
This makes it a great choice for a small family.
The application is available for devices listed below.
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, phone
- Mac High, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10,8
- Linux Crunchbang, Fedora, Mint, Command Line Interface, Ubuntu
Phones and tablets:
- Android: Oreo 8, Nougat 7, Marshmallow 6, Lollipop 5, Kitkat 4.4, Jelly Bean
- iOS 11, 10, 9, 8
- Chrome browser extension
- Tomato, pfSense, DD-WRT
You can connect up to 3270+ servers in 33 Countries.
Easy to Use User Interface
The application has to be understandable for rookies.
PIA has done it right.
Even though there are a lot of options, if you are new to VPNs, you can’t go wrong with the default settings and auto location.
Kill-switch is valuable for recurring users.
This feature enables you to permanently have VPN connection every time you connect to the Internet.
How does it work?
Kill-switch allows internet connection only if VPN is on. Yes, they do have a kill-switch and its working great.
The same feature is also on their iOS and Android app. SOCKS5 Proxy is included as well.
Speed decreases when you use VPN.
This is the case for all services. However, some of them are faster than others. PIA has over the average speed compared to other service providers.
The United States server ping went up by 788.24%. Download decreased by -34.05% and upload by -62.58%.
The United Kingdom server ping went up by 291.18%. Download decreased by -85.61% and upload by -96.32%.
Japan server ping went up by 211.76%. Download decreased by -42.63% and upload by -6.37%.
Various Payment Methods
There are 9 ways to purchase the subscription.
- Credit Card
- Bitcoin Cash
- Gift cards
Cheap Price & 7 Day Money Back Guarantee
To Buy or Not To Buy?
PIA is a great service for home users.
London Media Trust is a reputable company with a good record on keeping private data. They have a large user base with tons of supporters.
The service is finely tuned, responsive and smooth. It’s cheap and the money back guarantee removes the risk of disappointment.
We believe it’s worth to try.